They frame your eyes and they are the ones to determine your expression, but ever since getting bigger, thicker and better, the bold eyebrows also grew to become a woman’s most treasured beauty accessory. Switching from fall’s call for drama, to spring’s longing for naturalness, the bold, strong brows for the upcoming seasons are all about mastering the highlighting effects meant to really showcase their beauty.
Amongst the spring 2014 beauty trends, full, thick brows continue to inspire, and there’s no better way for you to channel spring’s return to all things natural than by sporting bold brows, preferably without the heavy make-up. Remember that this season you will want your eyebrows more intense, but less dramatic, the thicker the better, darker but more realistic.
Learn all about the products to use and the steps to follow in order to achieve spring’s gorgeous take on thick eyebrows, after the break.
Why choose bold, strong eyebrows?
Transitioning to bold, strong eyebrows may require some time to adjust, even some large doses of patience at times, but trust that there’s nothing able to enhance your natural beauty faster than a pair of eyebrows allowed to grow in their natural shape. If you’re still caught in the middle of making your decision, here are some reasons for you to consider growing your brows into a bolder, thicker shape:
- When done properly, strong eyebrows alone can serve as foundation for a soft, and naturally beautiful look.
- The bold, thick eyebrows can draw away from dark circles, channeling a healthy glow instead.
- They help you look more youthful, more radiant, reflecting the effortless kind of beauty we all adore.
- Contrary to what you may believe, you don’t need to take a lot of your brow away to shape it, which only makes the grooming of the brows easier.
- Full brows can work for anyone, given you find the right shape and reach those perfect proportions.
- Cara Delevingne‘s bushy brows, if only to accentuate the fact that it’s the natural kind of beauty to eventually set you apart from everyone else. You can emulate 5 of Cara’s most inspiring beauty looks, eyebrows included, by following the tutorials at that link.
Cara Delevingne at Mulberry, S/S ’14
And while we can’t all have Cara Delevingne’s perfect eyebrows, you can still try to make the best out of what you’ve got by learning a few useful tips and by testing products available on the market until finding the one that can become your secret weapon.
Naturally full thick brows.
Bold doesn’t have to necessarily imply going all bushy, or completely dark. An array of naturally full thick brows took over the spring 2014 runways, inviting you to start searching for your own happy medium. The intensity of the brows should always reflect your personal idea of beauty, as it should be leaving you feeling completely comfortable and at ease in your skin.
How to achieve the naturally full thick brows:
- Using a spoolie (an eyebrow shaping tool that looks like a mascara wand), brush your brows out and up, away from the center of your face.
- Either they are staying up or falling sideways – how the eyebrows are falling can actually pinpoint to their natural growth pattern.
- Key for this look is allowing the brow hairs from the front of the brow to the arch to grow longer.
- Using an angled brush, apply your brow colour in short, hair-like strokes.
- Run the spoolie over the eyebrows once to soften any harsh lines.
- Use a soft brow highlight underneath the arch of the brow bone to subtly accent the brows.
Naturally full thick brows at Tom Ford, S/S ’14
Tips & tricks for naturally full thick brows.
Whenever filling your brows use powder for a softer look and pencil for more of a thick, hair-inspired look. Remember to keep things natural by exclusively filling in the areas that require it, as opposed to going through the whole brow. To create a sharper look, use a clear brow wax before you apply colour, and again right after applying colour to keep the brows in place.
You can also check out this video to see more about how it’s done:
Key products for naturally full thick brows.
Rather conveniently, feathered eyebrows seem made to suit everyone. The brushed-up brows will add a graphic quality to your facial structure, but they do require grooming and attention in exchange. The feathered brows can also make your eyes stand out while framing the face, requiring less makeup. While you may find it difficult, the first step in achieving flawless feathered eyebrows is letting your eyebrows grow out for three to four months, giving their natural shape time to become distinguishable.
How to achieve the perfect feathered eyebrows:
- The first step requires applying a custom tint, preferably a shade darker, to better define the interior of the brow.
- Tweezing of the hairs from the outer arch of the brow is what eventually gives the feathered look.
- You would be aiming for a diffused edge, instead of a thick, hard line.
- Make sure to feather the ends outward, in order to give the eye a lift.
Feathered eyebrows at Jil Sander, S/S ’14
Tips & tricks for perfect feathered eyebrows.
Use a clear or a colour-matching brow gel to push up and set your arches, and remember to avoid over-plucking, as an organic finish is key for a bold feathered eyebrow look. Consider both your bone structure and hair texture as a guideline for your eyebrows. Also, try and avoid making the brows slant upward too much as the result could be more of an angry – rather than a soft – look.
Key products to achieve perfect feathered eyebrows.
If your brows don’t fill in as you would expect/want, an all-natural growth serum like GrandeLASH MD Eyelash and Eyebrow Enhancer might be able to help. To set your arches try out Anastasia Beverly Hills’ Brow Gel and the Brow Wiz mechanical pencil from the same brand.
Androgynous, smoky eyebrows.
Working for both the black-haired and the blonde beauties, the thick and darkened eyebrows can be used to frame your face in a more dramatic manner. As seen at Erdem, the boyish beauty look becomes key for a barely-there take on makeup, where the accent falls indubitably on the strong, masculine inspired brows.
How to achieve the androgynous, smoky eyebrows:
- The intense look is based upon dark grey, hollow brows intended to enhance the eyelid.
- Using a soft grey liner, square off the brows.
- Fill them in with a dark grey cream shadow and work the product through the arches in soft, short strokes to add strength to the brows and to create a smoky, linear look.
- Finish off the look by adding a hint of concealer to the eyelid.
Androgynous eyebrows at Erdem, S/S ’14
Tips & tricks for the androgynous, smoky eyebrows.
You can recreate the square looking brows also by using a mechanical pencil to shape, define, and fill in your brows. The thicker the brows though, the bigger the chances for the masculine inspiration to really come through.
For more steps on how to recreate the androgynous brows, you may find inspiration in the strong eyebrow tutorial look available below:
Key products to achieve the androgynous, smoky eyebrows.
To make the most out of the masculine inspired brows check out the Brow Perfector and the Brow Gel both by NARS, as well as the Brow Powder Duo in Granite and Cool Dark Brown by Anastasia Beverly Hills.
Key beauty looks.
Some women fear the overpowering effect a strong, full eyebrow can have over a beauty look, regardless of its initial level of complexity. Key to embracing and wearing the full eyebrows in all of their dauntless, is knowing when they work and in which particular combinations they tend to shine best.
Bold brows with barely-there makeup
Opting for a fresh and clean look might just be the answer to pulling off the strong eyebrow trend with little effort. Let the brows do all the talking by choosing to showcase them in a barely-there make-up look, made out of natural looking skin, a simple coat of mascara and a light layer of warm-hued eyeshadow.
Soft, full eyebrows with natural makeup at Isabel Marant S/S ’14 and Giambattista Valli S/S ’14
Bold brows with bold makeup
Assuring a happy medium in your beauty routine, a bold, orange lip will automatically balance out a look that is built upon a thick, full eyebrow. With the attention equally divided between the intensity of the brows and the fearlessness of the lips, you will be left feeling like a modern femme fatale.
Same rule applies if you plan to sport the naturally thick eyebrows with a generous coat of bright eyeshadow. To prevent the look from becoming overpowering, avoid using mascara or liner on the eyes, and settle for a natural, rose-toned lipstick.
Full eyebrows and bold makeup at John Richmond S/S ’14 and Marc by Marc Jacobs S/S ’14
If you want more beauty trends and tutorials, head to our spring 2014 makeup guide.