Picture an evening gown with plunging neckline and floor-sweeping hem. Now add some tough accessories: an upper-ear cuff, a spiked tiara, a studded clutch, a sharp talon ring… any of these things can change the mood of the look instantly and completely.
And yet, they maintain a luxuriousness, adding an edge rather than necessarily taking over. This is punk as fashion statement, not as subculture. In a haze of smokey eyeliner and a click of high heels, you’re entering the room as the effortlessly cool girl with bucket-loads of sex appeal and just a hint of danger.
Taking a bit of inspiration from the punk theme of this year’s Met Gala, here are some studded and spiked pieces – from Cara Delevingne’s Dominic Jones earrings to some studded headbands a la Sienna Miller – that will give an outfit an instant bit of attitude. View them all after the break.
1. Earrings and ear cuffs.
1. Maria Francesca Pepe spike ear cuff, $49.88 at ASOS.com.
2. Dominic Jones Pegasus gold-plated earrings (as worn by Cara Delevingne) $290 at Net-a-porter.com.
3. Maria Black ‘Ri’ Earring, $165.84 at Farfetch.com.
4. Tom Binns Safety Pin Earrings, $250 at Stylebop.com.
2. Spiked headbands.
3. Buckled leather boots.
1. Bertie Prang studded biker boots, $119.70 at ASOS.com.
2. Michael Michael Kors stud embellished ankle boot, 417.93 at Farfetch.com.
3. Laurence Dacade open-toe knee high boots, $1,420 at Stylebop.com.
4. Tough rings.
1. Punk Multipack Mismatch Rings, $11.64 at ASOS.com.
2. Maria Francesca Pepe gold spike ring, $72.60 at My-Wardrobe.com.
3. DJ by Dominic Jones gold-plated enamel claw ring, $107.25 at at My-Wardrobe.com.
4. Dominic Jones Leviathan ring, $430 at Farfetch.com.
5. Studded clutches.
1. ASOS Clutch Bag with Studded Strap, $20.78 at ASOS.com.
2. Elaine Turner Bella studded envelope clutch, $225 at Farfetch.com.
3. Alexander McQueen Long Knuckle studded leather box clutch, $2,325 at Net-a-porter.com.