A 1980s tomboy vibe. That’s what was on the mind of Redken hair director John Pulitano when this look was created at the Sara Phillips spring 2011 showing. Models at Phillips’ Australian fashion week show hit the runway with an androgynous side-slicked style that added an edge to every outfit.
Rockstar hair: how-to
Relatively simple to recreate on your own, here are the steps – courtesy of the Redken team – for achieving a gelled, rocked-up look.
- Apply a liberal amount of gel to the hair, root to tip, section by section. The Redken team used Redken Hardwear 16 gel.
- Rub a small amount of mousse (such as Redken’s Guts 10) into the roots and blow dry.
- Section hair from the fringe area to the crown and fold the remaining hair back into a low, firm bun. Secure with pins.
- Apply a second layer of mousse to the front section to enhance the texture. TIP: Spray the hair lightly with water before applying the mousse to avoid it going ‘crunchy’.
- Back comb and scrunch the hair to encourage texture before placing it back over the head and pinning it into place, allowing tendrils to fold down the back of the neck and over the folded bun at the nape.
Click on the thumbnails for the full backstage coverage, photographed by Kelly Defina for Fashionising.com, of Sara Phillips spring 2011.