He’s helped shape what it is to dress like a gentleman, albeit one with a lot more kink then what the word usually implies, and now Tom Ford has given us a his 5 rules on how to be a modern gentleman.
Sitting down with Jefferson Hack, Editor-in-Chief of Another magazine, Ford has given his five-step how to as follows:
- You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.
- A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.
- Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.
- Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.
- A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.
It’s only the latter that seems out of place amongst a list of otherwise still-relevant manners and qualities.
Jefforson Hack’s full interview with Tom Ford appears in the spring / summer 2011 issue of Another magazine along with the previewed photo shoot by Jeff Burton.