It’s the little ideas that sometimes count the most, whether it’s wearing something in an unexpected way or simply being reminded of a combination that works well together. And as much as the runways and editorials serve as beautiful inspiration, you can’t go past street style as a measure of looks that will certifiably work in real life. At the gallery: 10 styling ideas from the street style crowd that you can steal and make your own.
1. Dare to bare with a lace bra under an open sheer shirt – a la Editor Christine Centenera.
2. Add a modern-grunge edge with a plaid shirt tied around the waist.
3. For simple elegance, channel Ulyana Sergeenko by wearing a bustier over a soft knit.
4. Have fun with cutaway boots by wearing patterned socks underneath.
5. Braces add a hint of androgyny – but they don’t have to be worn with tailored pants. Jeans work just as well.
6. Layer a strapless dress over a classic white shirt.
7. Try going fully masculine in a three-piece suit. Oxana Ong decided to forgo the tie to keep it a little more casual.
8. Wear a tough leather harness over something unexpected – like a simple sweater.
9. Throw on a silk scarf as a way of paring back a lace evening dress, a la model Jessica Hart…
10. …Or a heavier scarf over a slip dress to give it a wintery charm.
Want to keep up with fashion?
Once a week, we send out an update with the latest fashion trends, styles and collections.
Get yours direct in your inbox and keep ahead of fashion.