Coral is, undeniably, one of the hot lip colours for summer. But while it’s often the bright, orange-based side of the coral spectrum that we see providing a pop of colour to an exotic spring / summer look, the softer side of coral shouldn’t go unnoticed. As 2012′s fashions unfurl, keep coral well and truly in mind.
And that’s precisely what we did when we set about complimenting our hair guide to the sculpted faux bob. To compliment model Sophie Van Dek Akker’s coiffed locks, makeup artist Shev Kelly for Napoleon Perdis created a makeup look for us that was perfectly fitting for a vintage belle. Here pinkish-coral lips are the crowning glory to flawless skin, peachy blushing cheeks, and bare eyes frosted with white liner.
To create this beauty look for yourself, follow the how to steps further down the page.
Photo shoot credits
Soft coral lips: the how to
To help you recreate a softly vintage-inspired beauty look for yourself, Shev broke the steps down into six easy parts: prime, base, eyes, brows, cheeks and lips. On Sophie Van Dek Akker, Shev used all Napoleon Perdis products – you can find details of the exact products used at the bottom of the how-to guide.
- Start the look by applying a moisturising serum to the whole face.
- Apply a pre-foundation primer. You can also apply a lip primer should you wish to.
- Apply your first coat of mascara.
- Using a foundation brush, apply liquid foundation to the ‘feature focus’ area of the face (the triangle of features – eyes, nose & lips) and blend well so it disappears into the jaw line.
- Conceal dark circles with a concealer pen under eye area to hide darkness/discoloration. Be sure to warm the concealer into the skin with your finger tip.
- Apply a touch of concealer across the entire eye lid from the lash line to the brow bone and set with a touch of mineral primer, creating a matte base for your eye shadow.
- Lightly set the foundation starting with the ‘feature focus’ area of the face with a powder such as a mineral primer.
- Using a brush, apply an white eye pencil as a highlighter to the upper and lower lash line.
- Apply a contouring shade through the socket of the eye to add depth.
- Highlight the brow bone with a light eyeshadow.
- Apply two coats of mascara to the top lashes and one coat to the lower lashes.
- Comb the brows upwards and outwards with a clean mascara wand then define with using an eyebrow pencil.
- Set unruly brows in place with a clear mascara.
- Using a powder brush, apply a nude coloured shadow underneath the cheekbone.
- With a blush brush, apply a soft peachy pink blush to the apples of the cheek.
- Highlight top of cheekbones with the same highlight used on the brow bone.
- Using a lip brush, coat the lips with a soft coral lip colour, creating a shiny peach shade.
- Line lips subtly with a matching lip pencil.
Soft coral lips: makeup used
The following Napoleon Perdis products were used to create the makeup look and tutorial.
Eye Pencil White On, The Ultimate Contour Palette – Contour, Color Disc Skinny Dip (4)
Eyebrow Pencil Pale Rider, Peep Show Mascara Madame Crystal
Color Disc Trench Coat, Cheek to Chic Blush Duo #6, Color Disc Skinny Dip (4)
DeVine Goddess Lipstick Niki (3), Lip Pencil Nude Awakening
Other makeup looks
If you’d to take read up on other makeup looks and how-tos, then point your browser to our 2012 makeup trends guide.