As a classic style of pant and with their multitude of cuts, jodhpurs can almost always be made to work.
Sitting amongst Spring 2010 is the new horse riding influence. With silk jodhpurs from Dolce & Gabbana and the check plaid shirts of Ralph Lauren, never has the potential for jodhpurs been so great, nor the styling so varied. As one of 2010′s fashion trends jodhpurs will vary from the traditional to the sports, from dark and Gothic, to soft and elegant.
Dolce & Gabbana jodhpurs, Spring 2010
Dolce & Gabbana have taken the traditional Spanish equestrian look and, with their dark colour palette, have evoked the cinematic inspiration of Zorro. With high-necked blouses and layered lace netting they’ve tailored feminine lines, whilst traditional equestrian clothes shapes. such as cropped blazers and jodhpurs. have been adapted for a more masculine look and feel.
Tommy Hilfiger has also created his Spring 2010 collection using the jodhpur shape. Overall the look has softened with crisp Summer colours that gives the famous shape some lift and depth.
Graeme Black brought a 1940s deco feel to his collection, mixing traditional jodhpur cuts with elegant night-time fabrics; while Chloe‘s stirrup / dressage jodhpurs in neutral tones were more relaxed in their cuts.
Chloe jodhpurs, Spring 2010
For a style that has traditionally been uniform or functionality focussed, jodhpurs have defiantly taken their shape into the realm of day wear. Let’s just hope that women of all sizes can enjoy this look and not be too hipped out.
Wearing this style for Spring 2010 can be difficult, but achievable.
- For the fashion trend setter, wearing the style with high-necked collar blouse and cropped jacket will look very smart and chic.
- For those less confident in the look, a simple silk over-sized top or long patterned cotton t-shirt will take the edge off of the dramatic shape and still make it look edgy.
- For those unsure of this style, many of Spring 2010′s harem trousers are a similar shape but not as ‘hip’ orientated. This can easily been worn with a simple vest top and sequin waistcoat or with a cropped top over the vest to show a layered affect which looks effective and un-dated.
For more inspiration on how to wear the trend, visit the gallery of jodhpur pictures below.
- Jodhpurs can be paired with the cape trend, a la Chloe.
- The female dandy trend is of course a natural partner to everything equestrian. Add riding boots or lace-up brogues, and flourishes like fob chains, pocket handkerchiefs and brooches for a dandy look.
- For a sexy, modern take, plenty of designers turned to exposed midriff. Add a cropped top to high-waisted jodhpurs for a fresh and bold spring look.
- A sharp military jacket is the perfect match; or go harder with 2010′s fierce trend relative, the future warrior.
- For skinny or slim cut riding pants, over the knee boots are another great on-trend option.