A shearling lined leather jacket; some masculine boots; a pair of vintage goggles. You don’t need a pilot’s license to justify adding any of these to your wardrobe, for their mere presence conveys a spectacular sense of adventure. And so it is that the classic aviation pioneer is an undying source of fashion inspiration that keeps popping up time and time again, regardless of – yet inevitably tied into – the world of fashion trends. And at the centre of the style is of course famed aviatrix Amelia Earhart: a pilot, icon, and fashion designer in her own right. Read on as we explore the aviator look and how to wear it.
Where its been seen
Amelia herself is a well known both as an aviator pioneer and style icon. Famous for her well tailored suiting, equestrian-style outfits, and leather aviation gear, Amelia remains the one who springs to mind when we think of aviation as a stylish and adventurous endeavour. She also took to designing a line of active-wear long before celebrity fashion design was a popular phenomena.
As well as the recent biopic Amelia, there are plenty of aviation styled shoots from which inspiration can be drawn. Marie Claire’s ‘Amelia’ editorial is modern styling mixed with exotic settings. Flavia de Oliveira‘s ‘Greta Garbo’ shoot for Elle Spain celebrates the screen legend’s masculine style in an aviation setting and features some striking outfits.
Lastly, who could go past Hermes Winter 2009 collection which encapsulated luxury pilot styling with rich leathers and vintage-style goggles.
On the runway at Hermes Fall/Winter 2009
How to wear the aviator look
- Take inspiration from wartime working attire with a jumpsuit that’s full length, nipped in at the waist, and tapered at the ankles
- If you want to make the jumpsuit stand out even more as a masculine take, layer it over a shirt and tie; roll up the sleeves for a feminine touch
- Shearling / sheep skin or fur lining is perfect when paired with leather. As well as the classic leather bomber jacket, try it on boots, gloves, or leather caps
- Jodhpurs tucked into boots are the perfect masculine yet sexy female dandy look when paired with a bomber jacket
- Modernise the look with skinny cuts and form-fitting pieces
Street style photo by Wayne Tippetts
Barbara Bui's aviator Amazon (19 Apr 2011)
For more picture inspiration, click on the gallery below.