On imagines that the coolness of bib overalls – also known as dungarees – comes from their workwear origins. There’s a relaxed, down-to-earth mood associated with someone who is as far away from white-collar, tie-wearing worker as you can get. Overalls are grubby, hands-on, no airs and graces sort of fare; a uniform for the mechanic and the street-smart youth alike.
From denim overalls in the 1970s to the dungaree revival of the 1990s, the garment has also been a cyclical trend. As for the list of fashion trends for spring 2014, well, you can count on dungarees being on it.
After the break, a look at the overall styles in for spring. Don’t forget that if you’d like to keep up to date with all the latest trends, and how to wear them, you can subscribe to Fashionising.com’s newsletter or follow us on Facebook.
Overalls & dungarees: the styles.
Classic denim dungarees.
Denim dungarees retain a sense of easy, relaxed cool. They’re the original, and probably the safest, easiest option if you’re dipping into the overall trend for the first time. Denim will always lean to the casual side but for spring 2014, there are also ways to add a dash of smart sophistication to the look.
Adding a tailored blazer and a pair of minimalist heels is the easiest way to make the denim dungarees instantly slick. Underneath, go for a crisp white tee (a la Honor Among Theives) or white classic shirt (as seen at DKNY) – or for an edgier take don’t be afraid to layer over just a crop top.
Denim dungarees at DKNY and Honor Among Thieves, S/S ’14
Heels are of course not at all mandatory. A pair of cool sneakers or lace-up flats will offer up a completely casual alternative.
Denim dungarees street style: Ji Hye Park.
’90s inspired dungarees.
Who can think of dungarees without thinking of the ’90s? The dungaree dresses on the runway at Balmain and Vanessa Bruno were particularly open to plundering inspiration from that decade – layered with gold chunky chains and a loose shirt at the former and in lightweight fabric and plaid print at the latter.
These interpretations work best with unfussy flowing hair and subdued makeup: it’s all about effortless chic.
’90s inspired dungarees at Balmain and Vanessa Bruno, S/S ’14
Sporty & minimalist.
One of the most modern – and arguably best – ways to indulge in the dungarees trend this summer is by going sporty, clean, and minimal.
- Opt for block colours: the runways were especially fond of looks in black and white.
- Try mixing up necklines by layering overall bibs over halters and racer-backs.
- For shoes, try sleek, minimal sandals or chunky platforms. If you go for sneakers keep them clean and fresh looking.
- Silk blousons, mesh jackets and bombers are ideal layering pieces to go over the top.
Sporty, minimalist overalls at Milly and Rag & Bone, S/S ’14
Another key take for spring 2014 is the leather dungaree. The effect is exactly as you might expect: a worker’s garment reimagined from luxurious fabric turning it into a contradictory and ultra-cool wardrobe staple.
- Select carefully if you opt for leather, as you want a piece that will stand the test of time. Choose quality material and a flattering cut. Softer leather will sit better.
- On the runway at both Simonetta Ravizza and Trussardi, the leather dungarees were styled in a minimal chic way. By keeping the underneath bare (or near to), the leather remains the focus and the statement.
- Add beautiful leather accessories that compliment but not compete with the garment. A pair of leather heels or exotic bag will do the trick.
Leather overalls at Simonetta Ravizza and Trussardi, S/S ’14
Your dungarees don’t have to end in traditional pants (or shorts). A feminised version is the dungaree dress: a bibbed top attached to a skirt. These can be anything from casual to sporty to floor-length. How you wear the dungaree dress depends entirely on the style of dress you go for: your imagination is the only limit.
Dungaree dresses at DKNY and Alexis Mabille, S/S ’14
Dungarees & overalls: more styling inspiration.
For more pictures of how dungarees and overalls were worn on the spring 2014 runways, head to the gallery.