A wardrobe without a cool leather biker jacket in it, to advocate for the rough aesthetic and inject your outfit with the right amount of edginess, would probably feel incomplete. The must-have item established a first connection with the fashion world somewhere towards the end of the 1920s and ever since then it became a cult classic that never really goes out of style. That said, each season brings along new updates and fresh takes on the fashionable outerwear piece and this season is no different.
The biker jacket marked its presence on the spring 2013 fashion map as it continued to embrace evolution, but at the same time it didn’t steer all that much from its timeless silhouette and signature cut. If you still hold onto the image of a rebellious James Dean wearing a classic motorcycle jacket nearly 60 years ago, it might be high time to acknowledge how the trend manifests its existence this season.
Biker jackets for spring 2013: elements of novelty
Talking about updates and new takes on the motorcycle jacket trend, here’s a closer look at all the elements and features that define the outerwear piece as still relevant this season. If the silhouette remained pretty much unaltered, pay extra attention to the finer details as they are where the true novelty hides its appeal.
Biker jacket at Ralph Lauren S/S ’13 men’s
- This season highlights the slim fitted silhouette as an absolute must so make sure your biker jacket feels just like second skin
- The use of asymmetrical zippers render a rather unique and distinctive flair this season
- The sports influences and motorcycle racer accents stand for another cool take on the trend
Biker jackets at Belstaff S/S ’13 men’s and Rag & Bone S/S ’13 men’s
- Perforated leather and cut-out detailing represent two of the most innovative elements used in the reimagining of the motorbike jacket for spring 2013
Biker jackets with perforated leather and cut-out detailing at Ermenegildo Zegna S/S ’13 men’s and John Richmond S/S ’13 men’s
- The shoulders and sleeves are being emphasized this season with the help of ribbed stitch details, fish scale clipping and embroidered leather accents
Motorcycle jackets at Balmain S/S ’13 men’s, John Richmond S/S ’13 men’s and Diesel Black Gold S/S ’13 men’s
Biker jackets for men: colors for spring 2013
Influenced by the vibrant color palette that characterizes the menswear department this season, the suede and leather biker jackets were injected with a livelier quality for spring 2013. Either you plan on sticking with the classics, or opt for something bold and unexpected instead, search for:
- Traditional shades of white, brown, black and gray that will never go out of style
Biker jackets at 3.1 Philip Lim S/S ’13 men’s, Calvin Klein S/S ’13 men’s and Elie Tahari S/S ’13 men’s
- Army green, dark blue and nude – sleek and sophisticated alternatives that will complement an elegant and modern wardrobe by following the lines of the classic neutrals
Biker jackets at Belstaff S/S ’13 men’s, Iceberg S/S ’13 men’s and Miharayasuhiro S/S ’13 men’s
- Yellow, salmon and bold oranges that stand on the other side of the color spectrum, highlighting the newness of the season in terms of a brighter palette
Biker jackets at Kenzo S/S ’13 men’s and Paul Smith S/S ’13 men’s
Motorcycle jackets: how to style and wear them this spring
For spring 2013 the biker jackets are being effortlessly thrown into the mix, regardless if we’re talking about a smart-casual outfit, a sophisticated one or a laid-back look perfect for the off-duty hours. From washed-out denim, to pleat front pants, tailored shorts and slim fitted trousers, everything works in the combination. Further more, a crisp white button-down shirt, a basic t-shirt or a knitted sweater complement the edginess of the biker jacket, without stealing the spotlight. Style your staples with trendy hats, ties, scarves and your favourite pair of sunglasses. And where colors fail to excite add a print or a cool twist by ways of layering. Finish off your look with ankle boots, sneakers, loafers or summer sandals.
Biker jacket at DSquared2 S/S ’13 men’s