The popularity of braids in 2009 evolved into the side braid hairstyle trend in 2010 and, though having peaked in popularity, we didn’t expect the hairstyle to be seen much beyond the first few months of 2011. And it wasn’t. Almost. Despite having had its day, the side braid remained a popular hairstyle for editorials and catwalks in 2011, even making an appearance on the odd spring 2012 catwalk. Is it amongst 2012′s hairstyles, however? Not really.
While it’s natural for hair trends to evolve between the years, the initial resurgence of side plaited / side braided hair is mostly as a result of the hairstyle heavily featuring on the spring 2010 catwalks. Particularly prominent on Alexander Wang’s Spring 2010 runway, we also spotted them at Miuccia Prada’s Miu Miu Spring 2010 show and increasingly on the streets.
There are two distinct braided hairstyle looks: the long side braid, and the fish plait as seen on the Missoni Spring 2010 catwalk.
Side braid in 2012
Ashish made use of the side braid hairstyle on their spring / summer 2012 catwalk.
Side braid styling notes
- Great with any hair colour
- The side braid can be paired with the slicked side hair style for an edgy interpretation
- The fish plait is 2010′s take on the simple pony tail
- Both the side braid and the fish plait work great with a fringe; see the pictures of Abbey Lee Kershaw at Alexander Wang in the inspiration gallery for the best example
- Similarly: don’t thread your fringe, whether it’s cut as a blunt fringe or not, into the braid; instead it is best to style the fringe loosely; see the pictures of Anna Selezneva in the inspiration gallery for the best example
- The fish plait can be worn with a centre part
- The side braid can only be worn with a side part and the part must be on the opposite side of the head to the braid. If you’re stuck for a mental picture when styling this in front of the mirror one evening, simply think of it as the Rapunzel braid
Pictures of the side braid
Layers and length (9 Oct 2010)