Whether or not the idea thrills you, the evidence is clear: wearing ankle socks under your favourite pair of heels is no longer a faux pas. If you’re skeptical it’s time to start looking on the bright side – socks are cheap, won’t take up lots of space in your wardrobe, and are wholly practical. And while ankle socks with sandals may be a big trend currently, we’re here to tell you they’ll also be perfect for indulging in Fall 2010 fashion trends.
Jonathan Saunders Fall 2010
We’ve already looked at knee-high socks as a trend; so what about their shorter counterpart? Ankle or mid-calf socks create a completely different look. They can be paired with man-style flats (such as lace-up oxfords or brogues) for a female dandy look, or with heels for downplayed glamour.
Concerned that ankle socks don’t afford you the most amount of warmth? Don’t worry – they don’t necessitate bare legs. In 2010 you can wear your socks on top of stockings or tights to create an interesting layered look.
Socks over stockings and tights from Rodarte Fall 2010
Having socks bunched up at the ankles can appear to shorten one’s legs. It’ll come as no surprise to you that this looks best on longer legs and those with defined ankles.
There are, of course, ways around that conundrum for those not blessed with models’ legs: try mid-calf versions, finer fabrics that don’t bunch too much, or very low-sitting ankle socks that just show a peep above your shoes.
- Use a pair of socks to add a pop of colour to an outfit. The same goes for patterns.
- Bring a pair of brown leather sandals or wedges into the now by slipping on a pair of grey socks underneath. As a general rule pair marl grey with lighter browns and tans, and charcoal grey with dark and chocolate browns.
- Remember those little sparkly ankle socks Dior sent down the runway for Spring? No reason those can’t work in the cold weather – especially for hitting the town come night time.
- Try your socks over the bottom of pants, a la Rag & Bone. Stick to sophisticated casual though – pants should be slim cut or tapered at the ankles, not too baggy.
- Experiment with different colours. Cosy wool knit socks in earthy tones, cream or forest green are so perfect for creating a country ‘I’m just heading out for a spot of hunting’ look. On the other hand delicate pastels can have a subtle, feminine feel. Simple black, grey or white can be perfect for sleek, sophisticated minimalism.
Socks over pants from Rag & Bone Fall 2010
Your thoughts on socks and shoes
We asked for feedback from fashionisers via our Facebook fan page on the idea of socks and heels… the responses were many and varied. Want to add your thoughts? Visit http://www.facebook.com/fashionising and let us know what you think by leaving a comment on our wall.